Grande Prairie Cleaners fonds. — [1950-1970]. — 1 cm of textual records. — 8 photographs.
In the 1940s Mr. & Mrs. Blais had the “New Method Cleaners” located on Richmond Avenue on the southwest block. Before that Mr. Stredulinsky, the tailor, occasionally cleaned mens suits. After the war in 1948, Chuck Littman opened the Grande Prairie Cleaners on Richmond Avenue in the McDonald building, then built a new plant located on 101 Street south of McGavin’s Bakery (formerly Spicer’s Bakery) and Alberta Power. Their 1958 advertisement states that “from a staff of only four the business has grown until today 20 people, working in one of the provnice’s most up-to-date dry cleaning plants, are providing the Peace River Country with a fast, reliable dry cleaning service through a network of agents and depots. By then, they had three trucks serving the Peace River Country. In the mid 1960s Bill Bowes purchased Grande Prairie Cleaners from Chuck Littman, and in 1981 Mike Stojan purchased the Cleaners from Bill. In the mid 1980s, the property on 101 Avenue was purchased by the City of Grande Prairie. The building was moved to Richmond Industrial Park where it remains today and continues to be owned by Mike Stojan.
Records brought in by Margaret Bowes, a previous owner of the business. Records signed for by Mike Stojan, current owner.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a short history of Grande Prairie Cleaners written by Margaret Bowes; eight photographs of the facility, the fleet and the staff between [1950 and 1970]; a 1966 advertising proposal for Grande Prairie Cleaners from CFGP Radio; and a 1958 newspaper ad celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Cleaners and the new status of Grande Prairie as a City.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Historical notes provided by Mrs. Margaret Bowes.