Sexsmith Board of Trade fonds. — 1945-1962. — 6 cm of textual records.
The Sexsmith Board of Trade was organized May 18, 1945 “to promote the commercial, industrial, agricultural and civic welfare” of the community of Sexsmith. Hall. M. Perkins was elected the first president, A.F. Menzies the vice-president and E.V. Spicer the secretary-treasurer, and 42 members signed up after that first meeting. Later, membership was extended to employees, town residents and farmers as well as business owners. There was one stipulation—you had to be male.
The members acted together to publicize and make improvements to the town; sponsor agriculture courses and health facilities such as a T.B. X-ray Clinic; secure services for the town such as better phone, water & sewage services, hospital services, police protection, rural electrification, barbers, and dentist; secure products in short supply (e.g. coal) especially after the war; lobby town council for better lighting and provincial government for better transportation such as an all-weather road to Edmonton and the Whitecourt Cut-off; and put on regular Board of Trade banquets with guest speakers and dances in community halls. They also acted as a regulatory body within the town, requiring businesses to clean up or be faced with a complaint to the proper authority.
The Sexsmith Board of Trade was a member of the Associate Boards of Trade of the Peace River Country, the Alberta Board of Trade & Agriculture, and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. They also cooperated with other local Boards of Trade in Valhalla, Grande Prairie, Hythe, and as far afield as Edmonton.
The records were preserved by the Sexsmith Museum and deposited in Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2004.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book from 1945-1949 which contains minutes, finances and membership records; and some membership, financial records and correspondence from 1956 to 1962.