Jobson, Julian Fredrick

Regimental Number: M104779

Julian Fredrick Jobson was born October 15, 1922 to Fredrick Jobson and Debra Jane (Williams) Jobson, in Davis, Saskatchewan. Julian was the 2nd youngest child having five older brothers, two older sisters and one younger sister. His brother Douglas and 2 sisters passed away in childhood while the family resided on a farm in southern Saskatchewan. During the hungry thirties, Fred and Debra suffering from great hardships and finding themselves unable to feed their family, sent their eldest sons Charles and Earl on to seek out a place where they could survive and raise their family. Consequently, the family walked off their drought-stricken farm and found their way to Grande Prairie, Alberta. Fred and Julian’s older brothers Charlie and Earl quickly found work as farm labourers around Grande Prairie. Shortly after arriving in the new area Fred and Debra would settle their family on a small rented mixed farm. Julian and his siblings; Lester, Lloyd, Julian, and sister Elsie continued their education in Grande Prairie. Julian dropped out of school at the age of 14 after completing grade 8, to assist on the farm and to work as a carpenter and on neighbouring farms for some funds of his own. Julian had a passion for farming and took to animal husbandry and machines like a duck to water. He dreamed of owning his own farm and was known for hoarding his hard-earned money so he would eventually be able to buy his own piece of land.

Following in the footsteps of his 4 older brothers who were already enlisted, Julian (M104779) enlisted for service in WWII with the Canadian Army, November 6, 1942, in Edmonton, Alberta after lying about his birth date. His goal on enlistment was to serve in the Provost Corps and after completion of military and motorcyclist training was assigned to complete his Canadian MP training at Camp Borden in Ontario and on to No. 1 Training Brigade, Debert, N.S. He was deployed overseas for active duty on May 1, 1944. Initially served in England as Motorcycle Provost Corp and in June of 1944 was deployed to North-western Europe where he served in France, Belgium, and Holland while they were under occupation and was in Holland for its liberation and until the war ended. On his return he volunteered to remain in England to assist in the start of rebuilding. Julian was discharged on July 6, 1946 and returned to Grande Prairie to continue his civilian life.

On discharge Julian applied for VLA farm settlement contract and a refresher course in agriculture. He received agriculture refresher training under the supervision of I.V. Macklin and his requested ½ section near Bezanson under a VLA Contract was granted. Julian married Mildred Sloat on Sept. 3, 1947 and they spent their honeymoon on the farm, taking off their first crops. They spent the next couple of winters in a logging camp where Julian logged, and Mildred cooked. Their eldest son David was born while they split their time between logging camp and farming. They were in logging camp when Mildred went into labour with their second child Shirley, it was November very cold with lots of snow they feared they would not make it to hospital, and she would be born in the wagon on route. Fortunately, they made it, but the scare caused Mildred to refuse to go back thus she stayed on the farm and Julian returned to camp alone. They had 4 more children Larry, twins Melvin & Mervin and Gwen. Julian continued to work-out in the oil patch during the winter months while Mildred and the boys looked after the mixed farm. They etched out a living selling cream, eggs; milk fed veal and lamb as well as grain. Besides farming Julian loved spending time with his children and grandchildren, fishing, hunting, the Montreal Canadians and helping his neighbours and fellow veterans. He did not stray far from the farm but did make monthly trips to Grande Prairie for medical appointments and supplies he could not produce on the farm and made an annual trip to Edmonton each August to purchases back to school clothes and shoes for his 6 children.

In 1985, his army career climaxed when he and Mildred visited Holland commemorating the 40th anniversary of Holland’s liberation. That trip proved to ease many of the war burdens he carried in silence up until that time. They stayed on the farm until 1977 when they retired to a large acreage in Clarkson Valley where Julian dabbled in a few cattle, gardening, and landscaping. Julian succumbed to a heart attack and passed at home on Feb. 5, 1991.

Julian was a dedicated, active Legionnaire from the time the war ended until his passing. He served as a zone-commander for many years and was instrumental in bringing several veterans needed and sponsored programs to the areas he represented.

Written by daughter, Shirley (Jobson) Leyman