Moon, Alfred Archibald

Regimental Number: 3213165
Rank: Private
Branch: 1st Depot Battalion, Alberta Regiment; 21st Reserve Battalion

Alfred, born on February 18, 1896 in Orillia, Ontario, was the 3rd youngest of Elizabeth and Rawling Moon’s nine children; May, Anna, Norman, Pete, Robert, Charles, Alfred, Hilda and Fred. After Rawling passed away in 1904, Elizabeth decided to move to Edmonton to join her parents and brother. Elizabeth supported her family by opening a boarding house; however, after hearing about the opportunity for land ownership in Northern Alberta, she decided to move her family to an area known as Glen Leslie in 1913. Alfred filed a homestead application on NE 31-71-3-W6 and worked at Cook and Boyd Sawmill during the winter months. Summers were spent working on farms in Saskatchewan.

Alfred was called up for service with the Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1st Depot Battalion, Alberta Regiment on June 7, 1918 at Calgary. He arrived in England on August 15, 1918 where he was transferred to the 21st Reserve Battalion. Private Alfred Moon was discharged on demobilization on June 25, 1919 in Edmonton and returned home to Glen Leslie.

On November 24, 1919, Alfred married Myrtle Wales at the Forbes Manse at Grande Prairie and they lived in a house that had been built on Elizabeth Moon’s homestead. The young couple found employment at Buffalo Lakes where Myrtle cooked for the men that worked for Alfred who had a contact for railway ties. The next 14 years were spent on the farm and Alfred rented and eventually purchased a ½ section of land known at the Minchin land, SE 31-71-3-W6 & NE 30-71-3-W6. Alfred and Myrtle moved to a house on the Minchin land and raised their family of four children, Alice, Jim, Neil and Jean. In 1939, Alfred decided to again work in logging camps and sub-contracted ties and lumber at Edson. Myrtle stayed at home with the children who were all in school and looked after the livestock. In 1946 Alfred and Jack Mitchell (brother-in-law) logged north of DeBolt for two years and then sold the business to his brother Pete and his son Bill Moon. Myrtle and Alfred eventually built a new house on Alfred’s homestead quarter. Alfred worked the winter of 1961 at the Ross Davis Lumber camp south of Grande Prairie. In 1974, Alfred and Myrtle retired and moved to Grande Prairie where they lived until Alfred passed away in 1989. He was buried in the Glen Leslie Cemetery next to his wife, Myrtle.

Contributed by Wanda Zenner

Sources: Smoky River to Grande Prairie p. 38-40; Centennial Celebration Edson trail p. 116