Regimental Number: 1582
Branch: No. 5 Canadian Field Ambulance; Canadian Army Medical Corps, 2nd Canadian Division
Dr. Andrew Murray Carlisle was born in Peterborough, Ontario on March 6, 1896. He began medical training in 1913 but his studies were interrupted by the war. Murray enlisted while in his second year in 1915 and became a stretcher bearer in the Second Division Canadian Army. While there he attained the rank of sergeant in the Canadian Army Medical Corps and served in Canada, England, and France. After being discharged in 1918, Murray returned to complete his medical training. In 1921 Murray received a telegram from his brother-in-law Joe (Jack?) Archer in Lake Saskatoon, urgently requesting him to come north since the present doctor had left.
In the summer of 1921, Murray met Jean McFarlane. Jean and Murray married in 1923. The doctor’s office was in their home and Jean wore many hats, serving as a nursing assistant and meal provider for out of town patients who had traveled far. The Carlisles briefly left the area when Murray was accepted to an internship at the Sick Children’s Hospital in Toronto, but returned to Wembley in 1926, which was where their three children Jim, Mary Jean, and David were born.
As Dr. Carlisle had to travel to Grande Prairie nearly every day, the family eventually moved and built a new home across from Montrose School. Dr. Carlisle continued to practicing in Grande Prairie for the next 21 years. In 1957, the Carlisles retired to Victoria. Their children also moved away from Grande Prairie. Dr. Carlisle died in 1981 and Jean in 1986.
Sources: Lake Saskatoon Reflections, p. 98, 112; Beaverlodge to the Rockies Supplement p. 99-103; Along the Wapiti p. 345; see surname file