Regimental Number: 2130152
Branch: 1st Depot Battalion Manitoba Regiment; Canadian Army Medical Corps
George, born on September 29, 1897 in Brookdale, Manitoba, was one of Samuel and Marilda (nee Whelpton) Ames’ twelve children – one son William Nelson died as an infant; Roy, Charles, Harold, Fred, William, Vera, Maude, Mildred, Myrtle and Ruby. The senior Ames’ were from Huron County, Ontario; however, they decided to move to Brookdale, Manitoba where they farmed. The family decided to move to the Peace River District when land became available for those who wished to homestead. George filed on NW 10-72-3-W6 in 1917. A cabin was built on the bank of the Smoky River and George and his brothers, Charlie and Roy and Fred logged and sawed lumber at the Ford and Ames Sawmill. Summers were spent clearing land with an axe.
George was conscripted for service with the Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force, on May 10, 1918 at Brandon, Manitoba. He sailed for England on August 4th and disembarked on August 15, 1918. George was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Corps in England. He was discharged on September 18, 1919 on demobilization and received the British War Medal.
George returned to the homestead at Bezanson and filed on another ¼ of land (SE 9-72-3-W6) through the Solders Settlement Board in 1920. He met Thelma Louise Robideau whom he subsequently married on January 30, 1922 in Edmonton. They returned to George’s homestead where they had five children; Richard Irving died at birth in 1922, Glen Herbert 1924, William George 1925 (passed away in 1926), Veryl Elizabeth 1927 and Irving Franklin 1928. The children all attended the Lindsay One-Room School. In 1941, George and Thelma purchased the Ferry Inn that was located at the Smoky River Crossing. While there, the children went to the Ravina One-Room School that was located on top of the banks of the Smoky River. In 1942, when the “Inn” burned to the ground, George was selling Familex Products. After the fire, the Ames’ decided not to rebuild and moved back to the farm at Bezanson. George was fond of dancing, hockey and baseball.
George passed away on May 19, 1966 and Thelma in 1973. Both were buried at the Glen Leslie Cemetery.
Contributed by Wanda Zenner
Smoky River to Grande Prairie p. 312
South Peace Regional Archives Land Database