Fonds 657 Grande Prairie & District Co-operative Association Ltd. fonds

Grande Prairie & District Co-operative Association Ltd.. — 1957-1990. — 1 cm of textual records.

Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

The first Grande Prairie and District Co-op was formed to meet the needs of local and area shoppers. It was incorporated on October 14, 1937 with the board of directors consisting of Mr. Murphyk, Bill Hilloski, Alex Dunfield, Charles Spencer, Mrs. John Provonost, Tom Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Frantzen and Herman Wendt. Upon its creation it had a membership of 27 people and the store manager was Tom Wilson who also did deliveries to members in a hand wagon. In 1949 the Co-op store moved to 10032-100 Avenue, which was located across from the Park Hotel. The stock in the store consisted of hardware, dry goods a food floor as well as a cafeteria downstairs. In 1966 the store expanded again with membership having grown to 14,000 people. The new store was located on the corner of Richmond Avenue and 99th street and boasted of having electrically controlled doors and the first elevator in a Grande Prairie store.

In 1970 with an expansion, the Co-op was the largest one under one roof in Canada and in 1975 a gas bar was added in the spot where the Immigration Hall once stood. In 1987 a booklet was created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the store.

The Grande Prairie Co-op is now called the New Horizon Co-op and their mission statement is “To provide outstanding value to our members, customers and the communities we serve.” The food store is located 9831 100th Avenue in Grande Prairie and they also have cardlocks and gas bars located in various places in Grande Prairie as well as surrounding communities.

Source: “Celebrating 50 Years of Progress” booklet, New Horizon website

Custodial History

These records originated from Isabel Campbell’s reference files which were acquired from the Grande Prairie Public Library in 2013. These materials were part of a bequest by Isabel Campbell to the Library. The files were then donated to the archives in 2013.

Scope and Content

The fonds consist of Director’s report and financial statement (1957), member newsletters (1987,1990) and a history booklet (1987).