|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Eaglesham History Book Committee fonds|
|Date:||-1991 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||12 cm textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Added to new database Sept. 2023 – TD|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
In 1975, the principal and students of Eaglesham School began a project to collect the history of the Eaglesham area. They envisioned “a booklet published by a professional publisher which will contain pictures, maps, general history, geography, economy, personal histories of the various families and other aspects which will be of interest to local people”. To this end, they devised two questionnaires: one for the history of the St. Francis Xavier Parish, and the other a general questionnaire for families. A number of the questionnaires were returned, but the project was never fully completed. In 1988, the Eaglesham & District Agricultural Society made a motion that “Anne Donaldson head a steering committee to publish a local history of Eaglesham and district”. A month later, in June 1988, a committee of eight was formed to represent the different area: Georgette Langlois-North of Tangent, Irene Lemoine-East of Tangent to Hwy 49, Donna Bolster (later Betty Anderson)-Watino, Ann Larson-Four Mile Creek and part of Fox Creek, Mavis Farrell-Fox Creek and north of Hwy 49, Marge Morgan-North of Eaglesham, and Millie Parks-Village of Eaglesham. These reps were responsible for collecting histories from the past and present residents of their area. Before the book was finished, an army of proof-readers, researchers, typists and artists assisted to create a well-written, comprehensive history of Eaglesham and district.
The records were deposited by Greg Donaldson in 2014.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the records of the Eaglesham History Book Committee for the creation of “Smoky Peace Triangle”, a history of the Eaglesham, Tangent, Watino and Codesa Areas. The records are divided into files for executive records (minutes and homecoming material); the typed manuscript; and a file of illustrations. One story, called “The Legend of Hog Lake”, which did not appear in the book, is in the Executive Records file, and a map of the area showing original land owners and locations of community buildings has been separated to the over-sized map folders. There is also a file of original questionnaires distributed by the Eaglesham School students at the beginning of the project in 1975.
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Organizations* (subject)
|Reference code||Title||Dates||Physical description|
|0612.01||Item – Eaglesham History Book Map|||
|Scope and content:
Copy of a hand-drawn map showing the land-owners and landmarks around Codesa, Eaglesham, Tangent and Watino. The legend reads, “This map attempts to show who was living in the rural areas about 1940. It shows a few old landmarks as well: Fox Creek Hall, Fox Creek School, Four Mile Creek School, Egg Lake Ranch buildings, Emerson saw mill, “The Nurses” (Ellis and MacLean) house, Egg Lake Stopping Place house stood until 1932, Hickey Lake Stopping Place house stood till 1918, site of Boom Town “Smoky” 1915-1916, Site of one railway repair camp, site of a spring used for water supply by many people in the vicinity in the 1930s, Anderson sawmill, Route of “The Old Tote Road” (or Hudson Bay Trail) in use before the railway was built, graded dirt road built 1928-1940, a few of the well-used trails, 1940, and Egg Lake Ranch leased land.