Fonds 540 Lake Saskatoon Community Club

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Lake Saskatoon Community Club fonds
Reference code: 0540
Date: 1913-2017 (date of creation)
Physical description: 73 cm of textual records

1 diazo plan

2 VHS tapes

24 photographs

9 oversized scrapbooks

Language: English
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Exported from AoR and added to new database Sept. 2022 – JL

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

The Lake Saskatoon Community Club held its first meeting on February 4, 1927 at the home of Mrs. S. R. Lowe. The first executive consisted of Mrs. Robert Holmes, Mrs. Herbert C. Cooper, Mrs. Albert Smith, Mrs. Ernest Hopkins, Mrs. Levason, Mrs. Grimsrud, Mrs. Cuthbertson, Mrs. Alex B. McDonald, H. B. Jones, Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Albert E. Smith and Mrs. Lovell. The motto of the Community Club, which was said at the beginning of every meeting, was “To sow gladness of heart, to help one another and to promote the highest welfare of the community, especially the school.” Their first order of business was to provide hot drinks to students attending the Lake Saskatoon School, and they were also concerned with the ventilation of the school and providing it with wash basins and mosquito netting.

The Club quickly began to organize events like community picnics, a social hour, box lunches, and debates. Mending was done for a family who had lost their mother, first born babies were given silver spoons as a welcome, and the Club organized a medical clinic so that children would have the services of a doctor or a nurse. Meetings of the Community Club were held at members’ homes or at the Saskatoon Lake Community Hall.

On August 4, 1977 the Lake Saskatoon Community Club celebrated their 50th anniversary at the Lake Saskatoon Hall. During the meeting, the president of the Club, Melita Hrychiw, was able to welcome back some early club members: Mrs. Alma MacDonald, Mrs. Helen Smith, Mrs. Julia Rainer, Mrs. Paula Uswell, Mrs. Anne Rigby and Mrs. Cora Cooper.

Besides the regular meetings and activities, the Club organized larger projects such as the compilation and publication of “Lake Saskatoon Reflections” from 1974-1980; and the restoration of St. Andrews by the Lake Anglican Church in 1981.

Custodial history

The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Kathy Sebastian on January 13, 2012. The records had been kept in Club member’s homes and the Lake Saskatoon Community Hall.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minute books from 1927-1981, financial records for 1981 and annual reports from 1928-1985.

The records had been organized before arriving at the archives, and were retained by the archivist in their original order.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.


The records had been organized before arriving at the archives, and were retained by the archivist in their original order.

Related material

Included with the records was a metal stamp maker that embossed the club’s seal on paper documents. As this item is an artifact, it was split from the collection and donated to the Grande Prairie Museum.


No accruals are expected.

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Organizations* (subject)
  • Alberta (place)

Table of contents

0540.01, Minutes, 1927-2014

0540.02, Financial Records, 1980 – 2013

0540.03, Annual Reports, 1928-1985

0540.04, Historical Scrapbooks, 1913 – 2011

0540.05, Correspondence, 2005-2017

0540.06, Ephemera, 1980 – 2011

Series descriptions

Series 0540.01: Minutes

Date: 1927-2014 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

The series consists of 19 minute books that date from the first meeting in 1927 to 2014. There are also two reports from the Book Committee detailing progress on the book, “Lake Saskatoon Reflections”.

Physical description: 24cm of textual records

Series 0540.02: Financial Records

Date: 1980 – 2013 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

The series consists of financial statements, reports, receipts, chequebooks, and NPO returns generated by the club during their operation. The series also holds records relating to the purchase of bells to commemorate the Saskatoon Lake School Reunion, information on a grant received for the restoration of St. Andrew’s Church, and files related to the Frances Ramsden Memorial Entrance Scholarship.

Physical description: 32cm of textual records

Series 0540.03: Annual Reports

Date: 1928-1985 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

The series consists of annual reports on the activities of the Lake Saskatoon Community Club from the time it was created in 1927 until 1985.

Physical description: 5cm of textual records

Series 0540.04: Historical Scrapbooks

Creator: Lake Saskatoon Community Club

Date: 1913 – 2011 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

One Scrapbook from 1945-[1974] containing newsclippings, photographs, drawings, correspondence, cards and memorabilia. One Scrapbook from [1913-1987] containing news clippings and photographs, and signitures of attendees at their 40th Anniversary celebrations in 1967. One Scrapbook containing the history of the club, written by Roy Grimsrud in 2007, and enlarged photographs of community people and buildings. One reproduction of a diazo plan surveying the village of Lake Saskatoon. There are five additional scrapbooks that record general activities of the club from 1950-2011, as well as a scrapbook that contains photographs from the 80th anniversary in 2007.

Physical description: 9 oversized scrapbooks

1 diazo plan

Language of the material:


Access points:

•                Object (documentary form)

Series 0540.05: Correspondence

Date: 2005-2017 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

This series contains letters, Christmas cards, and other correspondences the club received from community members and organizations they worked with or donated to.

Physical description: 10cm of textual records

Language of the material:


Series 0540.06: Ephemera

Creator: Lake Saskatoon Community Club

Date: 1980 – 2011 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

Contain photographs of the Saint Andrew’s Church and Cemetery, as well as of the 60th anniversary of the club. Also holds newspaper clippings about club members, signed guestbooks used from 1980-2011, and videos of the 70th club anniversary in 1997.

Physical description: 24 photographs

2 cm of textual records

2 VHS tapes

Language of the material: