Buffalo Lakes (Many Springs) Ladies Club. — 1945-1996. — 9.5 cm of textual records.
The Buffalo Lakes Community Club was informally organized on June 5, 1942 by members of the Many Springs community, and was first named Many Springs Auxiliary. Its purpose was to work for the war effort and keep in touch with the boys in the services during World War II. The first project was sewing and knitting items for a bazaar to be held after harvest to raise money for the boys’ Christmas parcels. Regular monthly meetings were held in the homes of members, while bazaars and social evenings were held in the Buffalo Lakes Hall. Barn dances in the barns of Bill Pol and Fred Collette were popular events. The club enjoyed wide community support for their activities, and in August 1945 it was re-organized as the Many Springs Community Club. The executive from the previous club was retained: Mrs. Student, president; Mrs. Floen, vice president; Mrs. Bekkerus, secretary; and Mrs. J. Ganzeveld, treasurer.
After the war, the emphasis of the club changed to community support and activities. A Sunshine Committee visited the sick. The ladies held quilting bees, mended and patched used clothing collected during clothing drives, and handcrafted items for their yearly sale. The club served as a social club where visitors and newcomers were made welcome, and each war bride in the area was presented with a set of sheets and embroidered pillowcases. They sponsored community events such as Father’s Day Picnics and farewells to families leaving the community. Bazaars, quilt raffles, card parties, dances and bingos were organized to raise money for organizations such as Red Cross, the Sexsmith W.I. Rest Room, the Kinsmen Club, Pioneer Lodge, Grace Children’s Home, Christmas gifts for the children, upkeep on the old community hall, and later money to build the new hall. As well, the ladies served as the auxiliary for other community groups such as the Athletic Club.
In time the name of the club was changed to the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club, and in the late 1990s the club amalgamated with the Agricultural Society to become the Buffalo Lakes Community Society.
Two of the books were purchased from the Salvation Army Thrift Store by Nellie Sterr, and a third was given to her at a later date. In 2003, Mrs. Sterr donated them to the South Peace Regional Archives. A second donation in 2010 was brought in by Paul Gerow with papers from the Buffalo Lakes Community Club. This donation also contained records from the Curling Association and the Buffalo Lakes New Horizon Group.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of six minute books created after the August 1945 re-organization of the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club. The minutes include records of monthly and annual meetings, lists of members, financial statements, financial ledgers which show the monthly activities, and documents relating to events which the club organized.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Accession No. 2003.13; 2010.20
Table of Contents
|Series 537.02||Financial Records|
|Series 537.01||Minutes. — 1945-1996. — 7 cm of textual records.
The series consists of five minute books, beginning on August 15th, 1945 and ending in 1996. The minutes also contain membership lists.
|Series 537.02||Financial Records. — 1946-1991. — 2.5 cm of textual records.
The series consists of two ledger books that contain the financial transactions for the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club. The first ledger covers the years 1946-1972 and includes membership lists for 1946, 1952 and 1958. The second ledger covers the years 1973-1991.