C.E. Calberry fonds. — 1938-1965. — 2 cm of textual records.
Clayton Calberry left his home in Roslin, Ontario, in 1925 and tried several western spots including Medicine Hat before arriving in Grande Prairie June 28,1931. He filed on a homestead SW 13-72-2 W6. He worked for Pat McCann the first summer to get money for building his first home and continued to work off the farm for the next few years. While he had worked on a harvesting crew in Saskatchewan in 1927, he met the assistant cook, Tillie Jaeger, and they reconnected and decided to marry in 1937. Three children were born to them: Kenneth, Phyllis, and Dianne. In June, 1942 Clayton began work as the ferryman at Moody’s crossing on the Smoky River. He also served as a trustee for the Ravenna School District. He was appointed by the Minister of Agriculture to be the Poundkeeper in the Goodwin area in 1944. He was the secretary for the Goodwin Cattle Assoc. and also worked at the Co-op shipping yards in Debolt in later years. The homestead house served the family until 1958 when a new house was built. Kenny went to work for the Calgary Fire Department; Phyllis married George Seaton and they owned a hotel at Pickle Lake, Ontario; and Dianne married Bob Thew and they live in Grande Prairie.
The records were donated to the DeBolt & District Pioneer Museum by Diane Thew, daughter of Clayton Calberry in June, 2006. The DeBolt & District Pioneer Museum donated the collection to the South Peace Regional Archives in June, 2006.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of records from Clayton Calberry’s work as an enumerator for the polling division #53 for the federal election of 1945, as a poundkeeper for the area, 1944-1965, and as a school trustee for the East Smoky School Division (1938-1954) including minutes and finances and a register from the Ravenna School 1940-41.
Title based on contents of the fonds.