|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Bezanson Stampede Committee fonds|
|Date:||1950-1967 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||6 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed September 2009
Added to new database February 2023 – TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
It is estimated that the Bezanson Stampede had its first little rodeo in 1946, with Bob Fenton as manager. Managers through the years were as follows: 1950, Johnny Stark; 1957, Harvey Weegar with Lorne Goff as secretary; 1959, Harvey Weegar; 1960, Gerald Goff; 1961, Earl Weegar with Harvey Weegar as secretary, 1962, Earl Weegar, and Jack Moon as secretary; 1963, Grant Moon (president of the last meetings) and Roger La Valley, secretary. The decision to have no more stampedes was made in 1963; the horses were sold and the ground rented to Agar and Morrison. The profits from the stampedes, with the exception of a few of the later years, were turned over to the Bezanson Hall Committee. In 1967, the Bezanson Stampede’s assets and $1400 cash were donated to the Bezanson Memorial Hall Committee for the purposes of installing a gas furnace and two propane cook stoves in the hall.
These records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Irene Gitzel in 2006.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes and financial 1950-1961, financial 1962, minutes and activities 1962, financial 1962-1967, correspondence 1959-1964, a booklet of rodeo rules 1962, and a Bezanson Stampede poster 1957.
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Sports, recreation and leisure* (subject)