Fonds 270 Hermit Lake School #3250 fonds

Hermit Lake School #3250 fonds. — 1917-1934. — 3 cm of textual records.

Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

Hermit Lake School District was established in 1915, although classes had been held since 1913. In 1916 a frame school was built. Later, a lean-to kitchen was added to the school to provide hot lunches for the students. In 1928, the school was moved one mile east of its original location and the lean-to kitchen replaced by the entrance porch. A teacherage was also added to the site. Hermit Lake School closed in 1956, but was used as a community hall until 1976, when it was moved to the Grande Prairie Museum Heritage Village. The first teacher at Hermit Lake School was Molly Sharp. Other teachers included Velma Cranston, Mary Robertson, Dorothy Donaldson, Grace Wishart, Fred Howlett, Eileen Murray, N.E.Wood, M. Burgess, Ruth Conley, Grace Cook, Ellen Rasmussen, Ethel Hawkes, Mae Blom, Muriel Coleman and Edith Jackson. Location of the school was SE 5-72-7 W6.

Custodial History

The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives in 2005 by Alice Scorgie, daughter of Nettie Wood, teacher at Hermit Lake School in 1921.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of Hermit Lake School District #3250 minutes from 1917-1938; and class registers 1921, 1930-1934, and 2 financial records covering 1918-1925.


Related records: Hermit Lake Community Association, fonds 258, Grande Prairie School Division (063.02) and Municipal district of Bear Lake (; Grande Prairie Museum Photographs (2000.64.1-11)

Back to Top