Fonds 234 Silverwood School District 3390 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Silverwood School District 3390 fonds
Reference code: 0234
Date: 1935-1954 (date of creation)
Physical description: 7.5 cm of textual records
Language: English
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
Note: A complete list of teachers can be found in Wheatfields and Wildflowers

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

The Silverwood School served the settlers in the area between the villages of Rycroft and Woking, in Township 77, Range 5, West of the 6th Meridian. It was built on property owned by Bill Craig (now owned by George Dika) and named by George Platzer, the first secretary/treasurer of the Board. It opened in 1917 and the first teacher is believed to have been E.W. Mitten from Nebraska, USA. A new school was built on Jack Craig’s land in 1931 after a second school burned in 1930. In 1954 the school was closed and students bussed to Rycroft.

Custodial history

The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes from 1936-1940, and 11 Daily registers from 1935-1954. Teachers from 1935 on included Mary White, Madeline Platzer, Agnes Moran, L. Thornton, Mrs. Alice McBride, Sr. Rosemarie Hudon S.O.S., and Agnes Bayers.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.


No accruals are expected.

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Education (subject)