Fonds 231 Rycroft (Spirit River) School District 2109 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Rycroft School District 2109 fonds
Title [parallel]: Spirit River School District 2109 fonds
Reference code: 0231
Date: 1921-1996 (date of creation)
Physical description: 141 cm of textual records
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Exported from AoR and added to new database Oct. 2022 – JL

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

The Spirit River School District 2109 was established November 3, 1910 with R. Brinkman as senior trustee. It was the first school district south of the Peace River to be organized. By borrowing $450, a school was built south of the Revillon store (in what is now Rycroft). Enrolment numbered 30 in 1911, and 40 by 1915. In 1919 a new school was built on the south east corner of lot 40-78-5 W6, ( a school still stood here in 1984). Miss M.E. Henderson moved from the log school at the Mission to teach here. The school had to be closed that year because of the serious flu epidemic. In 1920, Mr. W.D. McDougall reopened the school. From September 1921 to December 1922, Wesley Hicks was the teacher. In 1923, Silva Grimm taught the 28 students, grades 1-10. From 1932-1935, John Paul taught in the school and then, due to increased enrolment, the United Church was used as a second classroom where Frances Trueman taught grades 1-3 from 1935-1937 and her sister “Billy” taught grades 4-9 in the old school in 1936-37. This school was moved in 1937 and a new two-room school built. The new school was a package deal purchased from Waterman-Waterbury, a school supply house in Regina. It was well-planned, with 2 classrooms on the main floor and a full basement with two playrooms and a coal furnace. Mary Beatty taught grades 1-5 and Eva Duncan grades 6-9. In 1938, part of the basement was a high school room. In 1941-42 two wings were added to accommodate more students. ( In 1970 these wings were dismantled and the materials used for building the arena.);The name of the school district changed from Spirit River School district 2109 to Rycroft School District 2109 in 1934 when the post office name changed as well. In 1938 Rycroft withdrew from the Spirit River Rural High School District #13.

Custodial history

The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003. The assessment records were preserved by the M.D. of Spirit River No. 133 and deposited in the archives in 2010.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1921-1996, and school tax assessment records from 1935-1940.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.


No accruals are expected.

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Education (subject)

Table of contents

0231.01, Attendance Records, 1921-1996

0231.02, Assessment Records, 1921-1996

Series descriptions

Series 0231.01: Attendance Records

Date: 1921-1996 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1921-1996.

Physical description: 138 cm of textual records

Language of the material:


Series 0231.02: Assessment Records

Date: 1921-1996 (date of creation)

Scope and content:

The series consists of two Assessment and Tax Roll ledgers for Rycroft School District 2109 from 1935-1940.

Physical description: 3 cm of textual records

Language of the material: