|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Deep Valley School District 4931 fonds|
|Date:||1946-1956 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||2.5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
The first school district was formed to the west of Ksituan in 1930, a district badly cut up by creeks, making the formation of boundaries difficult. The first meeting was held February 15, 1932, and over the next few years, there was wrangling over the site for the school. In the meantime, the western boundary was absorbed by Ksituan School and the northern boundary was served by Yellow Creek School. Finally, in 1945, with the election of Adam Juzwishin, Bill Zyha and Sam Wlad to the school board, arrangements were made with the Spirit River School Division to build a school. The district supplied the lumber for school and teacherage. Classes began January in 1947, with Miss Dorothy Burbee as teacher and 33 students. Teachers who followed were Doris Bilawchuk, Mr. R.B. Hemphill, Mr. N.D.Shmyr, Miss N Bryzgorni, Miss Lakusta, Lillian Bilawchuk, and Helen Kowalchuk. The school was closed in 1956 and the elementary/junior high students bussed to Blueberry Creek while high school students were bussed to Spirit River. The school building was moved to Spirit River and became Margaret Kushneryk’s home.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1946 to 1956.
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)