Fonds 211 Codesa School District 4595 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Codesa School District 4595 fonds
Title [parallel]: Brochu School District 4595 fonds
Reference code: 0211
Date: 1933-1956 (date of creation)
Physical description: 5 cm of textual records
Language: English
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD

Administrative history / Biographical sketch


The minutes for Brochu School District begin in 1933 with resolutions to form a school district (H.E. Balfour, official trustee), build furniture and purchase school supplies. A teacher, Mrs. Lucas was hired in 1934 and classes started in the Catholic Church. Sometimes classes were held in a two-room house which was easier to heat. In 1938, J.P. Sauve and John Gilles were official trustees, and in mid 1947, Spirit River School Division had a school built in Codesa. Attendance records were recorded by the following teachers between 1940-1944: A. M. Miller, G.A. Chamberland, I. Brundage and Adele Roy. “Smoky Peace Triangle” records Codesa School 4595, on the SE ¼ -22-78-1 W6 beginning in 1935, but Daily Registers call the district Brochu until 1945. It appears that Codesa was the name of the center where the school was located. The log building which housed the teacher, Miss Adela Roy, burned in 1946 and some students were then bussed to Fox Creek. Charlie Siegfries and Ross McLennan shared the bus driving duties. The school in Codesa still served a number of families until records end in 1956. Teachers keeping registers from 1949-1956 included Louise Rossiter, O.C. Hagen, E. Robertson, Mrs. N. Lambright, and Miss Joan Sather.

Custodial history

The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a minute book from 1933-1940 and Daily Registers from 1940-1956.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.


No accruals are expected

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Education (subject)