|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Bridgeview School District 4434 fonds|
|Date:||1929-1953 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||16 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
On August 31, 1929, the Bridgeview School District held its first recorded meeting, at which time they applied for title to four acres on the NW corner of section 3 — 77-6-W6 for a school site. The community had the necessary minimum requirement of 7 school age children. In January, 1930 the first class of students was taught by Mamie Godwin, followed in the same decade by N. Thompson, Hazel Gerry and Nancy Thompson, Allan McDougal, Olive Mallard, Albert Wilkie, Donald McCallum. At a meeting in February 1930, William Jones was elected chairman of the Board and John Essex was elected secretary/treasurer. Other trustees who served included R.J Coulter, G. Brownlee and Mary Brownlee, R.J. Hick, L.R. Woodard, Thomas Johnson, A.M. Edey, Willard Hamilton, C.H. Lowes, and A Smith. In 1939, a teacherage (former home of Mr. and Mrs. Jolley) was moved onto the school property with Don McCallum becoming its first resident. In 1941, he school district was transferred from subdivsion 2 to subdivision 3 of the Spirit River School Division #47. Teachers in the 1940s following McCallum were Alice McBride, William Parlee, Elva Smith, Muriel Grime, Kathleen Carkener and Harold Sather, May Spiden and Ileanna Baisley, Muriel Hamilton. From 1950-1953, Jean Hamilton, Jerry Pomeroy, Ruth Mueller, Helen Eisert, Jean Polasek, and Lucille Thornton were teachers. In the fall of 1953 the children were bussed to Spirit River. In 1983, the school was still on its original site and was used by Unifarm Local No. 1506. The school, still with its original stove and baby grand piano, was used as the center for the White Mountain, Willowvale and Bridgeview Homecoming in 1980.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consist of one minute book from 1929-1940 and 23 Daily Registers from 1929-1953.
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)