Fonds 203 Blueberry Creek School District 4591 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Blueberry Creek School District 4591 fonds
Reference code: 0203
Date: 1934-1990 (date of creation)
Physical description: 59.5 cm of textual records
Language: English
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

Blueberry Creek School was built around 1934 and the earliest record of registration of students is July 1934 when 37 students, grades 1-8 (35 were grades 1-4) were being taught by Charles P. Knight. As most of the students spoke Ukrainian, Mr. Knight had difficulty teaching in English. There is no school attendance for Dec. 1935 and Jan 1935, but the school year resumed from February to June 1935. The School census records Blueberry Mountain as the address for all the children. In 1938-39 Nicholas Bodnar had 58 students and in 1939-40, Mr. R.B. Hemphill had 56 students attending. The school burned down in February, 1940 and at a meeting in May, the ratepayers discussed the need for either a two room replacement on the same site or two one room schools placed so as to shorten walking distances for children by changing other school districts boundaries slightly. The first option was approved, the school to be ready for students by October. In 1952-53 it served 55 students in two rooms, and around 1956-57, Blueberry Creek became the centralized school for the area with 6 rooms and multiple teachers.

Teachers after 1940 included Jeannette Minman (1940-41); Misses Kurtin, Harper, McKay, Glidden and Kingsep (1941-42); Emily Jones, Marilyn Casey, Tilda Calwell, and Phyllis Akins (1942-43); Ellen Hodge and Muriel Grime (1944-45); Anne and Joseph Bahry (1945-46); A.L.Hicks and Marie Hicks (1946-47); R. B. Hemphill and W. Gordon Marles (1947-49); Zincewicz and Mary Didow (1949-50); Emily Yanishewski and Muriel Hamilton (1952-53); Mrs. M.E. Smyth and Ruth Robinson (1953-54); A. Stanik, Mrs. Win Carlson, Lillian Scantland.

Custodial history

The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book from 1936-1940 and Daily Registers from 1934 to 1990.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.


No accruals are expected

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Education (subject)