Fonds 185 Sexsmith United Farmers Association Local No. 204

Sexsmith United Farmers Association Local No. 204. — 1918-1948. — 2 cm of textual records.

Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

Although the United Farmers of Alberta, Local No. 204, of Sexsmith was incorporated as a society on April 26, 1920, it had already been operational for at least two years. Its main purpose was to construct, own and operate a hall for social and community purposes and for carrying on the work of the society as a Local of the UFA. The first hall was built in 1918 at an expense of just over $1800, with shares being sold to the farmers and the remainder taken out as a mortgage, also held by local farmers. Funds to pay the mortgage and maintain the hall were raised through hall rental, dances and sales of UFA binder twine. The hall was used for many community functions: meetings, lectures, concerts, clubs, suppers, motion pictures, live theatre, boxing matches, dances, card parties, etc. In 1934, a contract was made with A.L. Cooke to build a new hall, and the old hall was sold to J.L. Warren.

The first trustees of UFA Local 204 were W.M. Walters, Walter Ward, J. Barr, C.J. Foster, Thos. Kynaston, A.M. Frazer, C.J. Helgason, J. Beard and J.N. Ryan. As in many other communities, the Sexsmith Local ran a hall to further the purposes of the United Farmers of Alberta:

1) The fostering and encouragement of cooperative effort to the end that
a) the moral, intellectual and financial status of the farmer may be improved thereby;
b) that the Rural home may receive more of the necessities, comforts and conveniences of modern times, and Rural life be enriched and improved thereby;
c) that the business of agriculture may receive proper recognition that its importance justifies in the Provincial and National affairs;
d) that the Dominion may perform to the best advantage the functions in the Empire which in the economy of nature it is best fitted to perform.
2) To promote social intercourse, a higher standard of community life, and the study of economic and social questions bearing on our interests as farmers and citizens.

The United Farmers of Alberta ceased to exist in 1949.

Custodial History

The records were preserved by the Sexsmith Museum and deposited in Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2004.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of the 1920 incorporation documents of UFA Local 204; one Hall Account Book detailing expenses, revenue and shareholders from 1918 to 1933; and some loose pages including the contract and estimates for the new hall in 1934. In the Hall Account book there are a few brief minutes of decisions made by the trustees.

Back to Top