Fonds 083 LaGlace School District 3371 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: LaGlace School District 3371 fonds
Reference code: 0083
Date: 1924-1938 (date of creation)
Physical description: 2 cm of textual records
Language: English
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Exported from AoR and added to new database April 2022 – TD

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

The LaGlace School District was organized in 1916 and approval was sought from the Ministry of Education to build a school. The first school year was 1918-1919, with classes held in Albin Hoflin’s cabin. Mary Collette was the first teacher, followed by Mrs. Pickering, E.H. Keith, F.G. McNaughton, Mr. Strong, Miss Mann, Miss Metcalf (Christianson), Mr. Williamson, Edith Lechelt, Parker Norden, Lucy Hardman, Miss Krantz, Miss Cunningham, Doris Eide and Miss Clarke. The first school was built in 1921 on the NE corner of S.E. 8-74-8. In 1938, a high school was built in the town of LaGlace, and two years later the elementary school was moved into town. As the small one-room schools began to close down under consolidation, LaGlace became one of the centralized schools and a new multi-roomed facility was built.

Custodial history

The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book and one daily register for 1925-1926.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.

Access points

  • Textual record (documentary form)
  • Education (subject)