|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Fitzsimmons School District 4500 fonds|
|Date:||1930-1938 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||1 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Exported from AoR and added to new database April 2022 – TD|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
Fitzsimmons School District #4500 was formed for the area north of the Lindsay School District in 1930, when the population of the district became too great for the Lindsay School to handle. The school was named after Scotty Fitzsimmons, who had homesteaded in the district. The first school board members were Ed Stearn, chairman, Abe Graham and Alfred Vinet, trustees, and Mrs. Ed Stearn, secretary-treasurer. By September, 1931 the school house was built and ready for students. In 1932, a barn was added to the site. The first teacher was Dorothy Cowell. She was followed by Isobel Horsely, Stella Becker, Harry Humphries, Josephine Price, Marguerite Meiklejohn, Theoline Yaremko, Ruth Axelson, Gertrude Gertrude Brightwell, Evelyn Krantz, Velva Regnier, Sadie Sarmaga, Pam Hunter, and Margaret White. In 1938, Fitzsimmons School came under School Division 14, and the financial aspect of the Fitzsimmons School Board wrapped up in 1939. It was replaced by an advisory body of parents from the district. The school was closed in 1956 and the students then attended Bezanson School.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one minute book.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)