Fonds 070 Bezanson School District 3302 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Bezanson School District 3302 fonds
Reference code: 0070
Date: 1926-1947 (date of creation)
Physical description: 2.5 cm of textual records
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Added to new database Feb 2022 – SF

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

The Bezanson School District #3302 was organized in 1915 and school held in the Presbyterian log church at the top of the Smoky River hill above the town site, starting in 1916. Miss Ida Colby was the first teacher. In 1919, a lumber school was built on the southeast corner of NE 25-71-3 W6th, and named after A.M. Bezanson. The first teacher in the new school was Mrs. Todd. She was followed by Mae Bolonger and Mrs. Ida (Colby) Dewhirst.

In 1925 the school was moved to NW 25-71-3 W6th. Mae Traynor, Martha Gudlaugson, Dorothy Goodland, Betty Willets, Lillian Hicks, Nancy French, Lucy Bonella, Gertie Clarkson, Hilda Muttart, Alma Ulmer, Beatrice Moir, Martha Knechtel, K.F. Philip, Laura Berg, Grace Ferris, Ruth Gibson, Lucy Jones, Margaret McNaught, Marion Muzyka, Marion Burgess, Jean McLaughlin, Phyllis Mattoon, Mary Tomshak, Allen Thronson, Vera Spence and Marie Ames were the teachers in this school.

In 1950-51, teachers were difficult to obtain for small country schools so children did correspondence lessons under supervision. By this time, a new school had been built in the village of Bezanson, so some children transferred there. At the end of June 1951, the school was closed and the building sold and moved to Bezanson village, where it burned down a few years later.

Custodial history

The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book and three daily registers from 1926-1927, 1932-1933, and 1946-1947.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions

Related material

Lindsay School District #3898 – Fonds 0084