|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Beaverlodge School District 2341 fonds|
|Date:||1944-1947 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||2 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Added to new database Feb. 2022 – SF|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
Beaverlodge School District No. 2341 was formed in the spring of 1910, the first public school in the Grande Prairie District. The first Beaverlodge School was built of logs and located at the old town site. Even the desks were hand-made. The first teacher was Mrs. C.A. Drake (later Mrs. J.W. Wilkie), followed by Elizabeth Johnson. In 1922, a two-room frame school was built, and by 1929 there was also a new two-room, brick-faced school at the new town site. These three schools served the population (with overflow classes in the Victory Hall, the Community Centre and Bentum Hall) until centralization, when two new schools—elementary and high school were built.
A few of the teachers throughout the years were: Harrison, Dron, McElroy, Ross, Ferguson, Mackintosh, Reid, Webber, Miller, Lysne, Cairns, Challenger, Andrews, Clarke, Edgar, and Martin.
During 1944, Beaverlodge School District Trustees began holding discussions with regard to uniting the Beaverlodge school with the Grande Prairie Division.
The Beaverlodge District School Board handed their records in to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one binder of school board minutes from January 11, 1944 to December 31, 1946. Accounts, correspondence and hand-written notations are included with the minutes.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions