Fonds 067 Appleton School District 2818 fonds

Back to Finding Aids

Summary information

Repository: South Peace Regional Archives
Title: Appleton School District 2818 fonds
Reference code: 0067
Date: 1926-1938 (date of creation)
Physical description: 1 cm of textual records
Dates of creation, revision and deletion: Added to new database Feb. 2022 – SF

Administrative history / Biographical sketch

Appleton School District was located in the Beaverlodge Valley on the east side of the river. The first log school was built in 1913; Jim Cory of Halcourt was the builder, aided by volunteers. John Appel, a local homesteader, advanced the necessary money to complete the building and the school was named Appleton in his honour.

Miss Margaret MacNaught was the first teacher, followed by Daisy Dixon, Newton Grimmett, Alberta Elcome, Judd Perry, Euphemia MacNaught and Jean O’Brien.

In 1921 the school was moved two miles to the northwest. There a stable and ice house were built and a well was drilled. The school was also used for church services and as a facility for the Community Club. In 1941, a lumber building replaced the old log school. Appleton was closed under consolidation in the late 40s.

Custodial history

The Appleton District School Board handed their records in to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of school board minutes from April 1926 to January 1938.


Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.


No accruals are expected.